Sunday 9 November 2014

My chosen portrait



It was a little bit hard to choose a portrait because either the portrait I wanted to use wasn't from England ( there is a difference between the renaissance in England and the rest of Europe),or the portrait wasn't really from the right time( a few years too early or late) or you mostly find portraits of Elizabeth I. But I think a lot of people choose an Elizabeth portrait so I wanted something else. I will show you here a few portraits I really like, even if there not from England ,and then show you the one I have chosen.



This portrait of Anne of Austria is by Peter Paul Rubens. Anne of Austria lived from 1601-1666. With Queen Elizabeth's death in 1603 you can say it definitely doesn't fit in the time of the Elizabethan era as well as the fact that she was born in Spain and later was the Queen consort of France. She doesn't look as pale as Elizabeth would in her portraits but it still looks Elizabethan too me. Especially the hair is quite Elizabethan also of course the use of pearls.


Elisabeth (Isabel) of Valois lived from 1545-1568 and was the eldest daughter of Henry II of France. She was married to Philip II of Spain.


Isabella of Portugal lived from 1503-1536. She was married to Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor. One of her children was Philip II of Spain. She was also a Holy Roman Empress and Queen of Spain, Italy and Germany. Even though she didn't live in the Elizabethan era she has some Elizabethan features such as high forehead, pale skin, red cheeks and lips. But the hair is different to the Elizabethan hair. But this portrait is my favourite from those four here. She just looks so elegant and beautiful.


Portrait of a lady in a red dress from around 1615
You can see the hairstyle is already a bit different but the face still looks very Elizabethan.

And now the portrait I have chosen!

Tadah!!:)

Portrait of an unknown Lady from circa 1595 by Marcus Gheeraerts II.
I chose this pictures because apart from being a typical Elizabethan portrait it is just beautiful. This women , which is also pregnant as you can see, looks so gorgeous. Maybe I like it because she gives you a happy feeling because she looks happy as well (probably because of the baby). Her hair is in the typical Elizabethan heart shape and decorated with lots of pears and a few gems. Also it looks like it is frizzy as well. She also has the high forehead and thin eyebrows. In addition to that her face is very white and she hast soft red cheeks and a bit more brighter red lips. Her whole white dress is covered in pearls. I think it is supposed to underline her purity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment